Wednesday 9 February 2011

Imaginary Friend.

I, like many others out there I am sure, had an imaginary friend.
We did everything together, and a better friend a boy never had.
We would make up songs, draw pictures of each other, ride our bikes through the leafy alleyways behind our house (though my bike was not rocket powered.)
We shared a bedroom, and I suppose that's where the problems began.
We would target each other, snipe with remarks calculated to wound,
Our passive aggressive back and forth tore at our respective self esteem,
Until the night.
One I shall never forget, the tension released, all became hazy yet somehow clear.
The wild passion, untamed desire, the cause of our problems suddenly revealed,
but in the light of the new day a whole new set assembled.
Clumsy and awkward, eye contact evaded, shame nagging like an unappreciated wife.
Our world had changed, we were foreigners in our own kingdom.
We eventually lost touch, but I still sing the songs.
I had an imaginary friend,
One I shall never forget.

This was originally meant to be a joke, now it just seems weird...
Oh well, if the plan falls through and a statue that plays a selection of my best-loved catch-phrases on the hour isn't chosen as the replacement for Nelson's Column, at least this will serve as a monument to my bizarre mind.

2 comments:

  1. There you are, thanks for the all-too-brief distraction from the scary things lurking on the other tabs...no, I still haven't got Facebook x

    ReplyDelete